The first railway here was a horse-worked line from Newquay Harbour to Hendra Crazey. It was built by Joseph Treffry and completed in 1849.
The Cornwall Minerals Railway opened its line from Fowey to St.Dennis Junction on 1 June 1874, where it connected with Treffry's Newquay Railway. The trains continued to carry only goods traffic but a passenger service was introduced on 20 June 1876. The station was originally known as Halloon but was renamed "St.Columb Road" on 1 November 1878.
The passing loop was extended in 1931-1933 to accommodate the long holiday trains that were then handled on the branch, but its taken out of use on 3 January 1965 when the signal box was closed. Goods traffic ceased on 7th September 1964, staff having been withdrawn on the 12th July of that year.
Due to several speed restrictions this line was the slowest journey by railway in Britain, taking almost an hour to travel the 20 miles of track. The track has been upgraded in 2013 whereby 20mph restrictions have changed to 40mph.